Wednesday 16 September 2009

Basic Safety Training - First aid

This week I am doing my Basic Safety Training. It is a qualification relevant to working on any ship and covers:
  • basic ship safety (such as things like muster lists which tell you different peoples jobs in case of an emergency evacuation or fire on ship, and how to read the ship map and cabin numbering etc)
  • basic first aid (CPR, AED etc)
  • fire fighting (using a fire extinguisher and fire hose)
  • water safety (getting into an immersion suit and flipping a life raft)
Today I was doing basic first aid (American Red Cross style). We did CPR and resuscitation, using an AED (automated external defibrillator), treating closed and open wounds, first responder treatment of strokes, allergies, burns, poisoning, bites etc. The following pictures show me giving mouth to mouth to my dummy, CPR and practising using the AED (which you can find in places like airports).

0 comments: